What Orion is doing to support our community during the coronavirus pandemic
30 March 2020
Orion is closely monitoring the rapidly evolving situation concerning the coronavirus, COVID-19.
As an essential service provider, we are very conscious of our responsibility to maintain vital power services to our community.
Orion is taking proactive measures to limit the spread of COVID-19 and support the wellbeing of the people and businesses throughout our region.
We’d like to share with you how we are responding to the situation, and provide an update on:
What we are doing to protect our people, customers and service providers
How we are ensuring we can continue to provide power to our community
What Orion is doing
Orion has implemented new ways of working to ensure we can continue to maintain essential power services to our community, and help in limiting the spread of COVID-19.
We have responded to the Government’s raising of the Alert to Level 4:
- We have activated our Pandemic Response Plan. This sets out how we undertake core business functions and provide a continuous supply of electricity to the community during a widespread health emergency.
- We have isolated each member of our essential Control Room and Customer Support team to reduce unnecessary interaction with the people who run our essential services.
- Arranged for as many of our people as possible to work at home. This supports minimising movements in our community and reduces the number of people working in our building at any one time so that those that must be there can be safe.
- Split the Orion team into two teams and taking steps to ensure members of one team do not have physical interaction with members of the other. This helps to maintain the health and wellbeing of the whole Orion team.
- We are no longer allowing visitors to our operational headquarters.
- We have cancelled non-essential face to face meetings and non-essential travel.
- We encourage our people to practice physical distancing or consider other options to face to face meetings e.g. Microsoft Teams meetings, phone conferences or email.
- We have taken extra steps to ensure our workplaces are clean, hygienic environments and have distributed more hand sanitising products throughout our headquarters and operators' vehicles.
- Our people have been told to stay at home if they feel unwell.
- We will support our people to self-isolate if required.
- We have readied our alternative Control Centre and Customer Support centre.
We’re taking a cautious, proactive approach to ensure we can keep the power on during a difficult time when our community depends on it most.
At Orion, we are well planned for operating at Level 4 and will continue to monitor the situation closely.
There is no heightened risk to the supply of power at this time. Be assured that we are well prepared to continue to support our community to keep safe, and we are geared up to respond as the situation evolves or to other events.