What Orion is doing to support our community during the coronavirus pandemic
11 November 2021 at 9:01 AM
Orion continues to operate efficiently and support our community during the COVID-19 pandemic.
As an essential service provider, we remain acutely conscious of our responsibility to maintain vital power to the homes and businesses in Christchurch and central Canterbury.
We continue to operate a safe and reliable network.
There is no heightened risk to the supply of power at this time. Be assured that we are well prepared to continue to support our community to keep safe, and we are geared up to respond as the situation evolves or to other events.
How we are working during COVID-19
Orion is now very accustomed to working to ensure we can continue to maintain essential power services to our community, and help in limiting the spread of COVID-19.
We have implemented new ways of working to ensure we can continue to maintain essential power services to our community.
During the current Alert Level we are maintaining these protocols:
- We have activated our Pandemic Response Plan. This sets out how we undertake core business functions and provide a continuous supply of electricity to the community during a widespread health emergency.
- We have isolated members of our essential Control Room and Customer Support team to reduce unnecessary interaction with the people who run our essential services.
- We have split the Orion team into two teams and taking steps to ensure members of one team do not have physical interaction with members of the other. This helps to maintain the health and wellbeing of the whole Orion team.
- We are requiring as many of our people as possible to work at home. This supports minimising movements in our community and reduces the number of people working in our building at any one time so that those that must be there can be safe.
- We are not allowing visitors to our operational headquarters.
- We are not allowing the public to recharge EVs at our operational headquarters.
- We have cancelled non-essential face to face meetings and non-essential travel.
- We require our people to practice physical distancing and wear face masks when in possible contact with others in the course of their work.
- We have taken extra steps to ensure our workplaces are clean, hygienic environments and have distributed more hand sanitising products throughout our headquarters and operators' vehicles.
- Our people have been told to stay at home if they feel unwell.
- We will support our people to self-isolate if required.
- We have activated our alternative Control Centre and Customer Support centre.
- We have required all Orion people to use the NZ Government Tracing App across all COVID-19 levels.
- We are monitoring Government advice and will act quickly if necessary.
We’re taking a cautious, proactive approach to ensure we can keep the power on during a difficult time when our community depends on it most.
At Orion, we are operating efficiently through the COVID-19 pandemic and will continue to monitor the situation closely.
Contacts you might find useful
COVID-19 Helpline for Businesses
The Canterbury Employers’ Chamber of Commerce's Business Helpline is free for all businesses in the South Island - call The Chamber on 0800 50 50 96.
All-of-Government response to COVID-19
See the latest news and updates from the Government.