Our sustainability commitment
Our vision is to sustainably manage the economic, environmental and social effects of our business to achieve strong connected communities, a healthy environment and a prosperous economy. By acting ethically, transparently and responsibly, we can create long-term value for Orion, its shareholders and our wider communities.
Working together we will:
Build confidence and trust in our service by providing a safe, reliable, efficient, transparent and resilient electricity delivery service in the long-term interests of our community.
- Strive to understand our customers’ and consumers’ needs and expectations and deliver innovative, sustainable solutions that address those needs. We will create partnerships to improve access to electricity in our community and to encourage its safe and efficient use.
- Be a good employer by treating our people with fairness and respect, and valuing their diversity. We will provide a safe and healthy work environment that enables professional and personal growth, with the aim of creating a skilled and sustainable workforce for our industry.
- Measure, manage and minimise our own carbon emissions. We will also assist others to use our network to reduce their emissions – whether through the use of EVs or electrical alternatives to fossil fuel generation.
- Understand our role as a consumer and what measures we can take to reduce our resource use and consumption footprint. We will collaborate with our suppliers to reduce our collective impact.
- Adapt our approach as we better understand our impact and our role in our social, economic and physical environment, remaining open to using innovative ways to achieve sustainable outcomes.
- We aspire to be a leader for sustainability, which we believe is vital for the growth and success of our business. This means we measure our success by the sustainability of our business and the effects of our business decisions on our people, our environment and our community.
Orion has signed up to the higher ambition 2019 Statement of the Climate Leaders Coalition, making a commitment to tackle climate change and reduce carbon emissions in New Zealand. In August 2021 Orion New Zealand Ltd successfully achieved Toitu Carbonreduce certification of their carbon footprint.