How to connect to our network
Need to make a connection request?
Please don't leave it to the last minute - contact us early. It can take up to 30 working days to assess your request.
You will need to make a connection request if you want to:
- build a new property
disconnect temporary supply or reconnect supply
request an underground conversion
install a generator
- alter the size of your connection
- increase the electrical load required to an existing site
To speed up your request for a new connection, please:
first select your preferred electricity retailer for the connection, and call that electricity retailer. When you call the electricity retailer ask for a customer number and submit this with your application.
then make your connection request, as detailed below, to Orion.
If you require a temporary connection (metered or unmetered) you need to contact an electricity retailer to request a customer number as described above.
How much will this cost?
For most urban* residential new connections, Orion typically charges:
- nothing for a new connection in a large subdivision, as normally the subdivision will have the necessary infrastructure in place
- $620 plus GST for single phase, or $1,030 plus GST for three phase, for each new connection not within a new subdivision
* urban classification is defined by your local district or city council.
Commercial property connections
If you are planning or developing a commercial property, please call us on 0800 363 9898, to talk through the commercial connections process.
The steps to getting connected
A connection request involves five steps. Select the steps below for further information. Details on cost and how long the process takes is included in Step 3.
If you know about our connection process from previous requests, proceed directly to our online system, by clicking on Start new connection request below.
For more information on getting connected, please view our frequently asked questions or for general enquiries contact us on 03 363 9898 or 0800 363 9898.